Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Organic composting at home - Bokashi bins

I think this is my second or third post about food waste to date - I'm really fascinated in this area of waste and knowing that there are rooms for improvement. 

My other post was about organic food waste treatment on a larger commercial scale. But today, I want to talk about organic composting on a residential scale.


What is Bokashi Compost Bins

The best features I found out about are:

  • No stink
  • Minimises organic waste
  • Direct food waste from landfill
  • Nutritious to the garden. 

As a student, the Bokashi Compost is quite expensive at an initial investment - prices at $85 for one single bucket, with an ongoing cost of bokashi one mix for adding it in the bin. For the long term is worth the value and it's definitely better for the environment by directing organic food from landfill. In addition, it also requires digging trenches or holes into the garden beds to bury the organic solid waste which is to me a bit of a hassle. If I do need to bury these organic waste, maybe I should try John's idea pouring it down on a paper tube buried in the garden beds. 

I was thinking, what happens if residents live in high density residential development with little space for garden - in particular the older built apartments are units. Optimistically, if this becomes the trend and many people started composing at home, I think it would be good to donate it or sell it to council to be used as a fertiliser for open space maintenance.

I guess involving the citizen in the public sector would definitely come across a few major problems. One of the issue would be with maintenance and the problem with who would be responsible if the compost didn't perform and kills the plant. 

Reference
http://www.bokashi.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment