Monday, March 28, 2016

Australian food label updates




The other day when I was sitting in traffic listening to the radio, I came across a notice from the Australian government on clearer food labels by 1 July 2016. Food business are required to label their products; whether it is produced, made, grown or packed with a few categories exceptions such as food from cafes, restaurants, snacks and biscuits. The label will also tell you what percentage of ingredients comes from Australia.  My first impression was "how good is that?!" It's such a good step to make our food sources more transparent. 


How does that that links to sustainability? 

I believe there are few positive social, economic and environmental implications. 

By making the labels more transparent, it encourages consumers to support locally sourced ingredients. Furthermore, with clearer distinction for different wording, it helps consumer to make clearer decisions. 

As for economical, by buying locally sourced ingredients and food, it supports local economy. I assume locally produced fruits and vegetables will be cheaper than imported one, hence it would be more economically feasible. 

Most importantly, as for environmental, I believe consumer with the new labels, the consumer will more likely to buy local produce. Although there the impact is not significant, the amount of greenhouse gas will potentially reduced for transportation. 



Reference 
http://www.foodlabels.industry.gov.au

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: baby shower water bottle labels

    ReplyDelete